Some customers have reported problems with charging Focus Laser Scanner batteries (ACCSS8001). Over use, time, and temperature fluctuations batteries will gradually lose their maximum capacity and its ability to hold a charge. Damaged or worn Power Dock chargers (ACCSS8002), can also cause shortened life spans or even battery failure.
Damaged or worn latches on the Power Dock charger may allow insertion of the battery with a misalignment of the electrical contacts. Batteries which are charged in a damaged Power Dock can be damaged due to this pin misalignment. Periodically inspect your Power Dock, if any signs of wear or damage are found in the areas shown below, discontinue use immediately.
For operational information see: PowerDock (ACCSS8002) Charging LED and Usage Guidelines with the Focus Laser Scanner.
|Latch Inspection Area||Good||Bad|
|Resting position of latch||
Latch leans inward
|Open position of latch||
Stop Pin intact
Stop Pin missing
PowerDock Charger Best Practices and Usage Guidelines
- The PowerDock is very lightweight, be sure to “secure” the PowerDock so that it doesn’t slide or fall. The use of an anti-skid/slip mat or similar material can be used to help secure it on smooth surfaces such as a desktop or countertop.
- Only use the power supply/power brick supplied with the FARO Scanner to power the PowerDock charger. Use of other power supplies may damage the PowerDock charger or the battery.
- Do not charge any batteries other than the FARO PowerBlock batteries in the FARO PowerDock charger.
- Regularly check plug, cord and the charger itself. See the Power Dock Inspection section above for more information. In case of damage, discontinue use immediately.
- Do not bring metal objects into contact with the charger terminals. The terminals may short circuit and generate heat in this condition.
- To avoid electrical shock, use the charger and the power supply unit in dry indoor environments only.
- Do not operate the charger in an environment allowing exposure to moisture, combustible fluids or gases.
- The charger should be kept in a dry room, out of the reach of children.
Battery Best Practices and Usage Guidelines
- For best battery performance, an ambient temperature of +5°C (+41°F) to +40°C (+104°F) is recommended. In colder or warmer locations, battery performance and operation time may temporarily decrease.
- Charge within limits of 0°C (+32°F) and +45°C (+113°F) temperature.
- Recommended charging temperatures: +10°C (+50°F) to +30°C (+86°F).
- Discharge within limits of -20°C (-4°F) and 60°C (140°F) temperature.
- Recommended operating temperatures: +5°C (+41°F) to +40°C (+104°F).
- Storage temperatures: -20°C (-4°F) to +45°C (+113°F), storage humidity range: 0% to 80%.
- For additional storage and charging guidelines refer to: Lithium Ion Battery Maintenance Guidelines
- Insert or remove batteries from the laser scanner in dry and dust-free environments only.
- Do not use wet or dirty batteries in the FARO Laser Scanner or with the charger.
- When the FARO Laser Scanner is not in use for a longer period of time, remove the battery.
- Store in a well ventilated area. Do not store with metal objects. A short circuit can cause a fire.
- Charge the battery the day it is to be used or on the day before. A charged battery that is unused, will gradually lose power over time.
- If the battery becomes exhausted quickly after being fully charged, replace it with a new one.