Here are some example questions you may want to consider when presenting scan data as part of evidence or testimony in a judicial case or a police investigation. The answers to questions like these may help validate the authority, authenticity, and accuracy of any analysis or conclusions based on scan data that may apply to a case.
- Has the FARO® Laser Scanner been tested in scientific settings and public safety settings?
- Is FARO data peer reviewed?
- Is there a known error or accuracy produced by the FARO 3D Laser Scanner?
- Is there acceptance within the scientific community?
- Is this an accurate representation of what you witnessed or saw at the scene in question?
- What examinations were done by you about this case?
- What were the results of this examination?
- Did you write a report regarding the results of this examination?
- What did that examination entail?
- How did you obtain measurements?
- What instrument was used to obtain these measurements?
- Is the instrument calibrated to international standards?
- When was the last time the instrument was calibrated?
- Do you maintain calibration certificates?
- What is the measurement error rate of the instrument?
- What is the measurement standard deviation of this specific project / case?
- Have you or are you able to generate a report documenting the standard deviation?
- Is the raw data obtained from the instrument maintained?
- How is the raw data secured?
- What is your data security protocol?
- Was a 3D reconstruction generated from the measurement data?
- What software was used to generate the reconstruction?
- What specific measurements were obtained from the raw data that aided your reconstruction of events?
- Are your results reproducible?
- What training do you have relating to this instrument?
- How many scenes have you used this instrument in?
- How many reconstructions have you done using this instrument?
Shooting Incident Reconstruction/Bloodstain Pattern Analysis/Momentum/Crush
- Were you able to conduct an analysis utilizing the 3D data?
- What software did you use to conduct the analysis?
- Are there any validation studies regarding utilizing the software analysis?
- What were the results of that analysis?
- Are you able to produce a report specific to the analysis you conducted?
- Are the results of the analysis report able to be verified based on the scientific method?
accuracy, testimony, evidence, error range, accreditation, accredited, certification, certified, police investigation, courtroom evidence