On-Site Compensation is a process to test and improve the angular accuracy of the laser scanner using SCENE software.
Before You Begin
Ensure that the scan site has the following facilities:
- Target sheets must be setup at the scan site at a regular distance to the laser scanners between 1.5 m to 3 m.
- No windows or other reflective planes: The markers on the target sheets would be reflected if the scan site has any windows or reflective surfaces. This can cause incorrect measurements.
- Lighting conditions are less important because On-Site Compensation is done with the laser, video images are not used.
Printing Target Sheets
If you need compensation target sheets, you can download and print them or print them from SCENE.
- Click the Scanning Ribbon.
- Click Open Target PDF.
- Print at least six copies of the PDF using the DIN/ISO A4 format or US letter format. Note: Do not use reflective paper or printers that use reflective ink.
Placing Target Sheets
- Target sheets must be setup at the scan site 1.5 m to 3 m from the scanner. Note: We recommend you glue the target sheets on suitable, rigid plates.
- The sheets should be placed within a in a vertical range of -50° to +50° from the scanner. Targets may be placed on the floor or ceiling.
- Distribute the target sheets uniformly. At least one board must be close to the horizon (0°).
- All target sheets must be vertically aligned.
- We recommend that you glue the target sheets on suitable, rigid plates, especially if Compensation is done at an outdoor location.
Placing the Scanner
- Mount the laser scanner on a tripod.
- Place the tripod on a stable, flat surface. The tripod must not move during scanning.
- Rotate the tripod so the front of the scanner points toward the center of the targets.
- In SCENE, Connect your PC to your scanner.
- Click Start On-Site Compensation in the Scanning ribbon.
- Select an output folder to store compensation data.
- Enter the IP address of the laser scanner. You can find the IP address by tapping Manage > General Settings > WLAN > IP Address on the scanner user interface.
- Click Connect.
- Verify that the targets and scanner are positioned as described above. Click Place Targets.
- Click Scan & Compensate.
- When Compensation completes, choose whether you want to apply the compensation data to the scanner.
- Click Disconnect.
- Click Yes and Finish.
Error: Reading and writing to the selected data output folder failed.
Solution: Make sure that you have permission to read and write in the selected output folder and at least 330MB of disk space.
Error: The process did not identify enough targets for compensation.
Solution: In the output folder a targetImage.png file is stored. This image shows the identified markers as blue circles. Areas with a sufficient amount of detected
targets have a green background color. In case of an insufficient amount of detected targets the background color is red.
Error: No consistent solution could be determined.
Solution: Make sure that the tripod and the targets did not moving during the procedure.
Error: The SD card of the scanner could not be accessed.
Solution: Make sure that the SD card is inserted and not write-protected. It should have at least 330MB of free space.
Error: Communication with the scanner failed.
Solution: Make sure that the WLAN connection to the scanner is stable. If this error appears when connecting to the scanner or applying the compensation parameters, try to repeat the corresponding step.