The FaroArm is a precision electronic measurement device that is designed for use in industrial environments. Although it is made to withstand every-day use in varying manufacturing environments, you must still take care when operating the FaroArm.
The FaroArm encoders are located in the articulating joints. These encoders convert position information to an electronic signal that is interpreted by the onboard or external measurement software used with the FaroArm. To ensure the accuracy of your measurements and avoid encoder defects that can only be fixed by the FARO factory, make sure you protect the FaroArm against these conditions that may occur in your work environment.
- Fluctuations in the power supplied to the FaroArm
- Electrostatic discharges around or brought to the FaroArm
- Electrical current on the ground of the power network that is connected to the FaroArm
- Defective USB port on the computer sending electrical current to the FaroArm
- Abuse, such as dropping or twisting the FaroArm at the joint end stops
- Strong vibrations from large machinery or traffic in the vicinity of the FaroArm
- Excessive temperature changes without the appropriate adjustment time
As protection against power related problems, use power surge protection and connect the FaroArm to its own electrical circuit. Machines that have high energy demands, such as welders and milling machines, can affect the FaroArm if they are on the same circuit.
At the FARO factory it is possible to identify most defects, but is not possible to determine exactly what caused them. It is also possible that past events cause a small defect that does not have an immediate effect, but grows worse over time. There are times this cannot be foreseen during factory maintenance.
For more information search your FaroArm or Gage User Manual for "Precautions."
- Where can I download the latest FARO Edge and Laser ScanArm User Manual
- Can I make the stress warnings on my FARO Edge go away
- What are the consequences of losing a degree of freedom while using the FaroArm
- How can I test the accuracy of the USB FaroArm in the field
treatment, safeguard, caution