The operation procedure is shown below. For details, please click the following link.
In many cases, it may be impossible to connect to the Laser Tracker via a wired connection due to the IP address of the computer, firewall settings, or Wi-Fi has been turned on. This article will walk you through configuration of the local PC, Laser Tracker, and use of the Tracker Utility.
Please review this table before you begin to ensure your success.
Time to Complete
Download and Install the Latest Tracker Utility
- Click here to download the latest FARO® Laser Tracker Utilities.
- Extract the contents of the downloaded file to the desktop of the computer you use with the Laser Tracker.
- Temporarily disable any anti-virus software, then right click the setup.exe file and select "Run as administrator"
Check the Network Settings of the PC
- Temporarily disable the Windows firewall.
- Right-click on the Windows Start icon and then left-click on Control Panel. Once the Control Panel opens, click on System and Security.
- On the next screen, click Windows Firewall.
- Set both Private and Public networks to Off, then click OK.
- Configuring Network Settings
- Right-click on the Windows Start icon and then left-click on Network Connections. Next right-click on Local Area Connection and then left-click on Properties.
- Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click the Properties button.
- Select the "Use the following IP address" radio button, enter the fixed IP address (188.8.131.52), the subnet mask (255.255.255.0), and then click OK.
- Normally, the Trackers factory-set IP address is 184.108.40.206.
- Be sure that the IP address of the computer is not the same as the Laser Tracker.
- Disable user account control
- From "User Account" of the control panel, click "Change User Account Control Settings". If it can not be found, enter "UAC" in the search field and click "Change User Account Control Settings" displayed on the search list to open it.
- Lower the slide bar as shown below and set it to "Do not notify".
Activate the Laser Tracker and Connect Using the Tracker Utility
Turn on the Laser Tracker. For Vantage models, check the connection mode at startup. After turning on the power, check the status of the light on the MCU.
- Wired connection: After turning on the power, only light ① is on.
- Wireless connection: After turning on the power, lights ① and ② blink simultaneously.
- If the Tracker is configured for a wired connection, please proceed to the next step. If the Tracker is configured wireless connection it must be reconfigured for a wired connection, See the User Manual for instructions.
- Starting the Tracker Utility
- Make sure the Ethernet cable is connected and start Tracker Utility. A crossover Ethernet cable is required for Vantage and ION models, for VantageS and E models use the proprietary cable provided.
- For Vantage models: In the "Serial Number or IP Address" field, enter the last four digits of the serial number as listed on the Laser Tracker head.
- For ION and X models: Enter the IP address of the equipment in the "Serial Number or IP Address" column. The factory-set IP address is set to (220.127.116.11).
- After completing the entry, click "Connect".
- If you can not connect, check the IP address of the equipment.
- Click the Find Trackers button. When the Find Trackers window opens, uncheck "Match the IP Address ..." and click the "Find Trackers" button.
- Check the available Tracker(s) that appear on the list. Verify that the IP address setting is correct and that Wi-Fi is set to OFF.
- If the Laser Tracker is not displayed on the list, please confirm "Check the Network Settings of the PC" again, or try restarting PC and Laser Tracker.
- If you are satisfied with the results, close the "Find Tackers" window and click "Connect".
- Verify the Tracker Utility has established a connection.
- When Tracker Utility is connected the menu will be displayed. To terminate the connection, click the "Disconnect" button.
Connection Method to CAM2 Measure (optional)
- Open CAM2 Measure and display the "Measuring instrument control panel". You can access it from the keyboard shortcut "P". If the Laser Tracker is displayed on the equipment list, the connection is successful.
- VantageS requires CAM2 Measure 10.6.7 or later.
- Vantage requires CAM2 Measure 10.1 or later.
- If there is no display on the equipment list, click the "Add instrument" button and add the equipment.
- For Vantage models: Select "Tracker ID" and enter the last four digits of the serial number as entered on the tracker head then click the Connect button.
- For ION and X models: Select "IP address" and enter the IP address of the Tracker then click the Connect button. The factory-set IP address is set to (18.104.22.168).
Vantage, ION, Tracker, Computer, Connection, Firewall, LAN Cable, Wireless, Wired, TrackerUtility