Topic: Computer Ethernet Configuration for the FARO Laser Tracker (linked document here)
- On the Windows Desktop, right click on the ‘My Network Places’ Icon and select ‘Properties’.
- There should be at least one ‘Local Area Connection’ icon. Use your mouse pointer to highlight each icon, the Tool Tip should state the make and model of the Network Adapter.
- If there is more than one ‘Local Area Connection’ you will need to determine which one is the one being used for the FARO laser tracker system. For most laptops there will be a built-in network connection. An Ethernet board may need to be added for some older desktop computers.
- Disable all network connections that are not in use.
- Right click on the ‘Local Area Connection’ icon that is being used for the tracker and select ‘Properties’.
- Ensure that there is no firewall installed. If there is a firewall, disable it.
- Ensure the ‘Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is checked and selected. Next, click on the ‘Properties’ button.
- Select the ‘Use the following IP address’ radio button and add the following: IP address: 128.128.128.X (where X is any number between 0 and 99) Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
- Now click the OK button to return to the ‘Local Area Connection Properties’ window.
- Now click on the ‘Configure’ button and then select the ‘Advanced’ tab. Check under Property for a listing named ‘Cable Type’. If there is a ‘Cable Type’ listed, select it then ensure the Value is set to ‘Auto’ or ‘Auto Detect’. Next click the OK button. If ‘Cable Type’ is not listed simply click the cancel button.
- When finished, click ‘OK’ to exit Network Properties, and click ‘Yes’ to reboot if prompted.
- Ensure the Ethernet cable is connected to computer and the MCU. The connection on the MCU is next to the On/Off switch.
- As a check click on the ‘Start’ button on the Windows Desktop then select the ‘Run’ button
- Type in the following: Ping 188.8.131.52 –t Then click ‘OK’
- If you receive a ‘Reply’ then the Ethernet is properly configured. If there is a problem with the Ethernet configuration you will receive a ‘Request Timeout’ message.
- Repeat steps 11-13 using the FARO Laser Tracker IP address: Ping 184.108.40.206 –t.
ethernet, tracker connection, connection, local area network, tracker settings, tracker configuration