The Faro Laser Tracker can be used to adjust a part, or the base of a part or fixture so that it is level to gravity. This is used when the part or fixture is required to be level to gravity as opposed to just being flat.
- Setup the Faro Laser Tracker on a heavy-duty instrument stand. Make sure the mandrel is tight, the height adjustment bar is tightened, and all of the floor trivets are tight with no wheels touching the floor.
- Perform Laser Compensation. After the Laser Tracker becomes temperature stable, perform the Self-compensation routine. Devices>Hardware Config>CompIT>Self Comp. When finished, select Update.
- Level the Faro Laser Tracker. Open the Tracker Pad, Devices>Laser Tracker>Tracker Pad. Select Bubble Level and rough level the tracker to within 1 Degree.
- Measure Gravity Level. Measure>Level. This will be M_LEVEL001. NOTE: This measurement of Gravity Level is valid at one point in time. The remaining procedure should be completed as soon as possible to avoid negative effects caused by environmental drift.
- Measure Alignment Points. Place the SMR into the Flat Nest and measure any point on the part that needs to be leveled as a Comp Off point. Move the Flat Nest any amount and direction and measure a second Comp Off point. These will be M_POINT001 and M_POINT002.
- Construct a Coordinate System. Construct>Coordinate System>3-2-1. Choose M_LEVEL001 for the Select a Plane Option and choose +XY for the Direction of Plane. Choose M_POINT001 and M_POINT002 for the Line Defined Axis and choose +X for Direction of Axis. Choose M_POINT001 for Select Origin. Select OK.
- Align to Part. Alignment>CAD=Part. Select OK.
- Find the high point. Place the SMR with the Flat Nest at each of the level positions. Using the Z-Axis of the DRO window, determine the highest point of the part. (It will have the largest Z value). NOTE: It is usually easier to level the part by adjusting it up rather than lowering it.
- When the highest point if found, measure a Comp Off point at that location. This will be M_POINT003.
- Edit the Constructed Coordinate System. File>Review Features, select the Constructed Coordinate System C_COORDSYS001 and press the Edit button. Change the Select Origin to M_POINT003. Select OK. NOTE: This will change the Z-Axis Zero value to the highest point on the part.
- Adjust the part until each level point is as close to Z=0.000 as required.
Click here to download: Gravity Leveling