To maintain the accuracy of your Laser Tracker SMRs, you can send them to the FARO factory to be tested and certified. Certification is a series of tests that determine if an SMR meets FARO specifications. These are the same precision tests used during manufacturing.
If an SMR does not meet certification specifications, it cannot be repaired. In this case, we recommend that you purchase a new one to replace the failing SMR and allow us to remove the failing SMR from circulation. If you purchase a new SMR, there is no charge to evaluate and recertify the failing SMR.
Click here for information about calibration due dates on calibration certificates.
The certification process varies depending on the SME type, but generally includes testing these characteristics.
- Runout Radius--How well the center of the corner cube is mechanically mounted inside of the sphere in the lateral direction (parallel to the open face of the SMR)
- Depth Error--How well the center of the corner cube is mechanically mounted inside of the sphere in the depth direction (perpendicular to the open face of the SMR)
- Dihedral Angle Difference--The maximum deviation of any two reflective panels from perfect 90 degrees. This can result in the laser beam reflected off reflective surfaces, changing shape, size, or bouncing off at an angle that is not perfectly parallel and affects angular measurements of the Tracker.
- Wavefront Distortion--The change in the wavefront shape of the laser beam emitted from the Tracker after reflecting off reflective panels. This can affect measurements of the Trackers ADM, IFM (if equipped), and angular measurement systems.
- Central Wavefront Distortion--The change in wavefront shape created by the very center portion of the reflective surfaces.
All tests use certified equipment and procedures that are designed to isolate each of these characteristics because field depth and runout tests include the combined effects of all SMR characteristics.
- Why does a calibration due date not appear on calibration certificates for FARO products
- What kind of information is on the SMR Calibration Certificate
- How do I clean Laser Tracker spherically mounted retroreflectors (SMRs) optical targets
- Can an SMR for the FARO Laser Tracker be repaired or replaced
- How does one replace the window of a Window SMR
- What is the temperature range that the SMR's can be used in
- What type of information is available about Laser Tracker targets
- Where can I find a tech sheet or information about Laser Tracker Targets
calibration, recalibration, recertify, recertification, maintenance, servicing, service