Creating a Measure Learn/Execute Program with Measurement Template to measure Planar Points
There are parts that have flat and orthogonal surfaces, such as rails. In these applications we select features on the part that will allow us to best fit the measured data to the 3D model. Since our main focus is to inspect the position of the holes, we are going to measure the holes as planar points rather than as circles. These will allow us to save time since we can measure a planar point with one point. Additionally, we can create an offline Measure Learn/Execute File that will automate this process for us.
Create a Nominal Coordinate System
- Run Measure and import the IGES file of the rail.
- From the CONSTRUCT menu, select PLANE<NOMINAL and choose three points from the CAD model that are on the plane datum, label it.
- From the CONSTRUCT menu, select CIRCLE<NOMINAL and choose three points from the CAD model on the circle used as a datum, label it.
- From the CONSTRUCT menu, select CIRCLE<NOMINAL and choose three points from the CAD model on the circle used as a second datum, label it.
- From the CONSTRUCT menu, select COORDINATE SYSTEM<3-2-1.
Select your nominal plane as the +XY plane. For the line defined axis, select the first nominal circle as the first point and the second nominal circle as the second point, this should be +X direction of the axis.Select the first nominal circle as the origin. Click the NOMINAL radio button, then click OK to create the coordinate system.
NOTE: All of these steps will be done in Measure.
Create Offline Measure Learn/Execute File
- From the FILE menu, select LEARN/EXECUTE<LEARN/EXECUTE. You will see the Learn/Execute window, this shows you the instructions the program contains and the ones that will me added.
- From the MISC menu, select VIEW. This will take you back to Measure and you will be able to view the CAD model, once you have the desired view, click on LEARN and this will save the view.
Measuring and Creating an Alignment
- From the DEVICES menu, select PROBE<SET CURRENT PROBE. Select the 1.5-inch SMR with none for attachment.
- From the MEASURE menu, select PLANE, this will add the command into the program. Click on this command and change the number of points on feature. Click on the Nominals button and select the nominal plane as the nominal. Also, click on the Highlight button at the bottom and select the nominal plane. Next, right-click on the command and select Insert Comment and add instructions for this measurement.
Click here to download: Measuring Holes as Planar Points
Keywords: learn, execute, planar