- Measure a plane on the top surface of the part, this will be your XY plane. From the Measure menu, select Plane.
- From the Measure menu, select Line < 2D Line . Measure the edge that will define your X-axis.
- From the Measure menu, select Line < 2D Line . Measure the two outside edges that will define your centerline.
- From the Construct menu, select Line < Bisector . Use M_LINE2 and M_LINE3 to create the centerline.
- Set the origin. From the Alignment menu, select 3-2-1 Alignment < Line/Line . Use M_PLANE1 as the XY Plane, M_LINE1 as the X-axis, and C_LINE1 as the second line.
- Set the coordinate system to World/Absolute. From the Alignment menu, select CAD to PART < CAD=PART.
- Measure any flat surfaces as planes. From the Measure menu, select Plane.
- Measure the two holes on the top of the part as circles. From the Measure menu, select Circle.
- Project them to M_PLANE1.
- Perform the scans to generate the part profile. From the Measure menu, select Scan Options < Freehand Scan.
- Perform a 3D scan.
- Set the minimum distance to 0.25 inches.
- Save data as an Open Polyline.
- Lock the Machine at the correct Z height.
- Press the left button (on the footpad) to begin scanning and the right button twice when done.
- Repeat for other Z heights.
- From the File menu, select Export < IGES. Save the file so that it can be used in another CAD system.
Click here to download: Reverse Engineering
Keywords: reverse, engineer, engineering, cmm