In this 5-minute YouTube tech-tip, FARO® Application Engineer Si Horton shows you how to install and configure the FARO® SCENE Software Development Toolkit (SDK) so that you can easily use SCENE files with AutoDesk Recap or any other third-party software. Cannot access YouTube? Click here to download this video.
This article provides steps for registering the latest FARO SCENE DLL files so that third-party software, such as AutoDesk ReCap, can import and open native SCENE files. Keep in mind that not all third-party software supports native SCENE files and that you may need to consult the third-party vendor for details .
Please review this table before you begin to ensure your success.
|Time to Complete||15 minutes|
Download and Save the FARO SCENE SDK
If these links do not work for you, please contact FARO Support.
Uninstall Existing SDK
You use the Windows Control Panel to uninstall any existing SCENE SDKs. If you are not familiar with the Control Panel, this video shows you how to uninstall an example program called Bonjour from the Control Panel. Just substitute FARO LS <#> for Bonjour.
NOTE: Uninstalling an SDK removes it from Windows leaving the SDK file on the hard disk--just in case you may need it in the future.
- Ensure that there are no applications open that may be communicating with the SCENE SDK, such as AutoDesk Recap. If so, save work in open programs or files and close them.
- On the computer, go to Start > Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features. It may take a few seconds for the programs list to appear.
- Browse the list to find the FARO LS x.x.x.x (64bit). If an SDK does not appear in the list, continue to Install the SCENE SDK.
- Write down the number that appears in the Version column on the right.
- Right-click on the SDK name, click Uninstall, and click Yes in the next two windows. The SDK is removed from the program list. Repeat step 4-5 until all older SDKs are removed.
- Click to close the Control Panel, then go to the Start menu to Restart the computer.
- Go to Install the SDK to continue.
Install the SCENE SDK
- Before you begin, ensure the computer you are installing the SCENE SDK on has an internet connection. There are internet files that the SDK installation software may need to download. You also need to have Administrative access to the computer.
- On the computer, navigate to where you saved the SDK install file. Write down the version number of the file name (x.x.x.x).
- Double-click the file and when the Setup window appears, click Next to allow the installation to continue.
- Click Install. The installation process begins. This might take a few minutes depending on your processor speed.
- When the installation is complete, click Finish.
- Go to Confirm Results to continue.
Check that FARO LS x.x.x.x appears with the correct version in the Control Panel.
- Go to Start > Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features. It may take a few seconds for the programs list to appear.
- Browse the list to find the FARO LS x.x.x.x and notice that the number in the Version column has changed to be the same number as you wrote down.
- Click to close the Control Panel.
- Go to Register DLL(s) to continue.
This procedures is the manual way to register the SCENE SDK DLL files. If after doing step 1, you would rather use a .bat file to register the .DLLs for the latest SDK version only, click here to download the .bat file that does steps 2-5. If you do not know how to use a .bat file, follow the manual instructions in this procedure.
- As the Administrator, open the Command Prompt by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- The Command Prompt window appears. If the prompt does not point to C:\Windows\System32>, navigate to it as follows.
- Type c: and press Enter. If that does not work type cd c:\ and press Enter. One of these will work.
- At the prompt c:\>, type cd windows\system32 and press Enter.
- Highlight and copy this: regsvr32 C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_faro.ls_1d23f5635ba800ab_1.1.702.0_none_3590af4b356bcd81\iqopen.dll
- On the title bar of the Command Prompt window, click the icon in the upper-left, scroll to Edit, click Paste, and press Enter.
- A dialog box appears indicating the registration was successful.
- Go to Confirm Results to continue.
The only way to make sure the DLLs registered successfully is to open in a native SCENE file (*.fls, *.fws, *.lsproj) in a third-party software such as AutoDesk Recap.
re cap, autocad, import, export, scene, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 7.0, 7.1,dll's, register, registration