When working with parts which may extend beyond the working volume of the FaroArm®, the Leapfrog technique is used. The Leapfrog technique involves realigning the arm to a second position using features (circle, spheres) which are common to position 1 and position 2.
- Circles and Spheres are mounted on the part close to the extension of the arm.
Note: The more area given for the mounted spheres or circles given will provide more accurate information. If the arm is extended to its full length with little area; more error will be encountered.
Before a Leapfrog can be performed, the circles and spheres must be measured in position 1:
- From the Measure Menu, select Plane. Measure the plane on the top surface of the part. Accept the label of M_PLANE1.
- Measure at-least 3 circles or spheres attached to the part. If using circles; from the Measure Menu, select circle. At the Plane Select dialog box, select M_PLANE1. Measure the first circle. Accept the label of M_CIRCLE1.
- Repeat the previous step for measuring Circles 2 and Circle 3.
At this time, Measure has enough information to begin the leap frog process:
- From the Alignment Menu, select CAD to PART< Leap Frog. (Up to 10 features may be used for the Leap Frog. )
- Select M_CIRCLE1, M_CIRCLE2, M_CIRCLE3. You are now prompted to measure each circle again.
- It is now ok to re-orientate the FaroArm into position 2, to measure the more of the part.
- Re-measure the three circles again and make sure to measure the correct circles. You will also need to define a plane for each circle.
- Now there is a new relationship between FaroArm and the part
Note: It is important to be efficient in the positioning of the FaroArm in order to minimize the amount of times the leap frog function is used. There is a minimal loss of accuracy associated with each re-orientation of the FaroArm.
Method,Methodsheet,Methodsheets,instruction,instructions,step by step instruction, steps, process,guide,application specific,Measuring Parts beyond the working volume of The Faro Arm, Leap Frog, Leapfrog,move device position