Most FARO® software requires a valid license to open and use it. As part of your FARO software purchase, you will receive a Product Key, the key provides secure access to your FARO software. RevEng™ software contains a built-in License Manager that allows you to add, manage, and update licenses and provides information such as the type of license and expiration date.
Before attempting to update/activate your license:
- Ensure you have stable internet connection.
- Ensure you have administrator privileges on your computer.
- Turn off all anti-virus and firewall software, as it can affect the activation process. Be sure to turn it back on again at the end of this process. If you do not know how to do this, contact your IT department.
- If you are using a USB Portlock/Dongle, attach it to your computer before you open the software.
First-Run License Activation
When you start the application for the first time on a computer that does not have a valid license, you will be prompted to enter a Product Key.
- If you have a valid Product Key, enter it in the field provided and click Submit.
- If you are upgrading from a previous version (and have a current maintenance/warranty contract), click the Update Licenses link. The software will automatically update your license for support of the new version. This process requires a stable internet connection, if you are not connected to the internet or the update fails, proceed to Manual License Update.
If the Update license link was unsuccessful, create and email a C2V file to the FARO automated license update system. Once your email is received, the system sends you a matching V2C file to apply to your computer. C2V and V2C files are unique to the computer you use with FARO software and hold information pertaining to FARO software product keys. You cannot interchange these files with different computers.
Create the C2V File
- Click the Collect license information link.
- In the next window, browse to the location where you want to save the C2V file, write it down if you need to. Name the file with the software name you are updating (e.g. "RevEng.c2v" and then click Save.
- Attach the file to an email and send it to the automated FARO licensing system:
- Send the email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Within several minutes, the automated system sends you a reply with a matching V2C file attached.
Apply the V2C File
In the email returned from FARO, a V2C file will be attached. This file contains updated product/license key information and is unique to the computer you use with FARO software. Applying this V2C file updates the product/license keys stored on your computer or on your portlock/dongle.
Save the V2C file attached to the email you received from the automated license update system to a known location. Write down the location if you need to. If you have not received this email, contact FARO Support.
- Click Update from file
- Browse to the location where you saved the V2C file and click Open.
- The updated product/license key information will now be applied and you may begin using your FARO software.
Other Activation Methods
If you want to familiarize yourself with FARO software before making a purchase, take advantage of the full-featured 15-day trial by clicking Start trial.
Transfer a License from Another Computer
In the event that your license key is located on another computer on your network, the Transfer Key allows ability to transfer a license key that is located on another computer to the computer you are currently using.
- Click on Transfer Key, the Key Transfer window appears.
- The license manager will search your network for applicable license keys.
- Click on the desired key to highlight it, then click the Transfer button.
- The license manager will apply the license key you specified to the computer you are currently using.
Launching the License Manager Manually
After the first run of the software (and a valid license has been found), the License Manager will no longer automatically appear. To launch the License Manager manually follow the steps below.
- Click the Settings icon on the bottom left of the screen.
- In the left panel, click General settings and then click the License manager button.
- The License Manager window will open.