I. If communication problems occur between the NetVista and the FaroArm follow the following steps to regain communications.
- Shut down the NetVista and the FaroArm completely. After computer and FaroArm power off turn the units back on. Reference the lights on the FaroArm and launch either the CAM2 Measure software, Caliper 3D or one of the basic soft check tools. (If the NetVista still doesn’t communicate with the FaroArm continue onto step two.)
- Shut down the NetVista and the FaroArm. Remove the interface cable from both sides (NetVista and FaroArm). Inspect the cable for bent pins and damage to the cable (report all findings). Now Carefully plug the cable into the NetVista tightening the screws equally on both sides and then plug in the FaroArm. After the cables are secure turn on the NetVista.
- Check the operation and maintenance of the computer’s hard drive. Request instructions from Faro document.
- Check that all screen savers; hibernation files and energy saving programs are disabled.
- Check functionality of computer’s hardware.
- Check functionality of computer’s software. (Fragmented and clusters files could cause problems) Look for conflicts.
- Last resort would be to uninstall and reinstall the software. Customer service can provide uninstalling and installing instructions.
* Faro Technologies Inc. recommends customers to use the IBM NetVista as a tool or a separate unit for Faro applications and measurements only. Installing software and hardware on this unit that is not authorized by Faro Technologies Inc. will not be supported or serviced. Faro will restore unit to the original sold settings only. Faro will not be responsible for any lost or damaged data. PLEASE back up your data! *
II. Communication Settings:
- Follow these steps below when the above instructions do to fix you situation. Incorrect computer setting usually causes these types of communication problems. (The following steps will walk you through verifying the setting in you IBM NetVisa computer system.)
- Go to <Start – Settings - Control Panel> & Select <System - Hardware - Device Manager>.
- Open <multifunction adapters> and click on <PCI 4027A Muli – I/O Adapter> The general tab <Device Status:> should report “This device is working properly” &<Device Usage:> should report <Use this device (enable)>.
- Now under <device manager> open the folder call <Ports (COM & LPT)> double click on <PCI serial port (COM1)> under the general tab the <Device usage:> should say <Used This Device (Enable)>. & <Device Status:> should say <This device is working properly”>.
- Now go to the tab <Port settings>
- Bits per seconds: 38,400
- Data bits: 8
- Parity: None
- Stop bits: None
- Flow control: None
- Select the <advance button>:
- Make sure the <Enable auto CTS/RTS flow control> is not checked and <Use FIFO buffer control / Enable 32 byte FIFO buffer> are both checked. At the bottom of this screen you will see <COM PORT Number:> It should be set at <<COM1>>.
- If any of your setting differ from the above adjust them to match.
III. Issue Reported: Company ID and System ID reports 0
Solution: BIOS SETUP
- Shut down the IBM Netvista.
- Turn the system on and press "F1" this will take you into the computer BIOS.
- Now select "Devices and I/O ports".
- Select "Network Setup"
- Select "Ethernet Support" Make sure this item is "ENABLED"
- Then select "Save Settings".
If this is already enabled you will need to follow these steps.
- Select "My Computer" then "Control Panel" then "Systems" then "Hardware" then "Device Manager" then "Network Adapters" Finally you will see "Integrated 10/100 Ethernet controller" select "properties" and make sure unit is enabled.
- If the unit is enabled in the Bios setup above and enabled in the software setup above then you may have a problem with the Ethernet card built into the system. This item may need to be service by IBM. (1-800-IBM-SERV).
Note: Make sure you have registered you computer at 1-800-IBM-4YOU.
Click here to download: Troubleshooting Netvista Communication Issues
Keywords: netvista, netvistas, troubleshooting