If your FARO USB Arm will not communicate, follow the steps below:
- Disconnect the USB connector from the back of the computer.
- Power off the USB Arm (the O denotes off, Idenotes on.)
- Exit Measure.
- Reboot the computer.
- Power the arm and make sure that the LED in the handle illuminates briefly.
- Connect the USB adapter to the back of the computer and wait for Windows to recognize the USB device. If this does not happen disconnect the adapter, reboot the computer, plug the USB cable into the other port and start again at step 1.
- Once the device has been recognized, wait 60 seconds and launch Measure.
If you get the “Unable to Connect with Primary Input Device” message, proceed with the following steps:
- Cancel the error and clear the Units dialogue.
- Go to Devices\Device Setup and make sure that the FaroArm USB – Portable Coordinate Measuring Machine is LOADED. If not click on it and then click “Start.”
- If you are still unable to connect, contact Customer Service.
The FARO USB series arms do not have a reference sphere available on the base of the arm (the 4 foot series and Gage arms do.) This means that the calibrating artifact must be secured away from the arm (see step 7) and secured to reduce movement as much as possible (refer to your users manual for more information.)
If you are unable to get a good tip calibration or if the Digital Readout (DRO) is displaying more than 4 digits to the left of the decimal point, refer to the steps below:
- Ensure that the tip is screwed on securely and that the tip is free from cracks, flat spots and is secure on the shaft.
- Check the diameter stamped on the probe tip matches the tip chosen in the next step..
- Go to Devices\Probes in Measure and make sure that the proper probe is selected in the Drop-Down box above the picture.
- Click the EDIT button and ensure that the diameter matches the probe tip size.
- Make sure that the Handle and Base Auxiliary Switches are both disabled (if not using the Renishaw Touch Trigger probe.)
- Click the MODIFY button.
- Choose the single-hole method and make sure that the hole is located at about 1 third the distance of the arm from the base. Also make sure it is securely screwed into the holder and that the holder is securely fastened to a stable surface.
- Follow the prompting to calibrate the probe.
- If you are still unable to get good results, contact Customer Service.
USB to Serial Adapters
The FARO USB series arms cannot be adapted by a USB to Serial/Parallel adapter to work on those ports.
Software Support of the USB Series
Any FARO software version prior to Measure Version 3.9 will not work with the USB series. As of October 2002, no third party software is able to support the USB series. WINDOWS 2000 and WINDOWS XP are the only platforms that support both the USB arm and software.
Note- Standard FARO Arm Series (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Sterling, Millennium) will all function as normal with Measure 3.9 and can be connected on the same computer, but cannot be run simultaneously. See steps on Communication to configure and choose “FaroArm"
troubleshoot fix arm platinum arm titanium arm advantage arm, troubleshooting, usb