QuickTools are programs that allows the user to save a set of commands to standardise and simplify inspection of components. QuickTools can contain many types of commands such as measurements, alignments, constructions and reporting, that are required to perform a complete inspection, and provide the results to the user.
There are 2 main methods to create QuickTools, available in the Automation ribbon:
- Record – the user can record each step as they perform the inspection.
- Create from Features – the user can first perform the inspection, and then once completed automatically create the QuickTool.
- Determine the features to be inspected, datum / alignment features, tolerances etc.
- Ensure the QuickTool panel is docked to the RH side of the screen. To show this, from the View ribbon:
- Select View Closed Panels
- Select QuickTools from the bar that appears below.
The QuickTool panel is located on the RH side of the 3d Viewer. To dock into place:
- Select the QuickTool tab to open the panel.
- Click the ‘pin’ icon, to fix into position.
Method Using Record
This option enables the user to record the QuickTools ‘live’ as the measurement steps are created, and can be used in Measure Mode or Template Mode.
From the Automation ribbon:
- Select New. New Program 1 will appear in the gallery, click into cell to rename the program if required.
- Select Record
The user can now measure features, create coordinate system, enter tolerances etc. as normal, and the necessary steps will be recorded into the QuickTool panel, as they are created by the user.
Note: Not all commands are listed into the QuickTool panel, however these must not be deleted from the Features panel.
Additional commands can be added after the core steps have been recorded. These commands will be explained in detail later in this document.
Method Using Create from Features
This option can be used when a measurement routine has already been performed, and the features / commands are present in the Features panel.
There is an additional benefit to using this option, since if a CAD model has been used in the creation of the measurement routine, to align and extract nominal features from, CAM2 will automatically create the images for each Add Readings step.
The image created will be based upon the 3d view that was displayed, at the time the feature was created. Therefore, by manipulating the view prior to picking features from CAD, the user can customize the images needed.
To create a QuickTool using this method, once all commands have been created, from the Automation ribbon:
- Select Create from Features
CAM2 will copy the required commands into the QuickTool panel, and if possible create associated images to the required steps (these can be viewed in the Image Creator workspace, see: IC001 Image Creator for QuickTools).
As previously mentioned, once the core steps of the QuickTool have been recorded / created, there are additional commands that can be inserted into the QuickTool when Record is active.
These additional commands are available in one of two areas within the QT panel:
- Panel Toolbar – available when in record mode (selecting a line in the QT and the command will be inserted above it).
- Add Comment: inserts a comment into a QuickTools program, that a user will see when playing the QuickTools program, and must acknowledge by clicking OK. Comments may be placed at any position within the QuickTools program.
- Add Report: automatically creates a report that is normally added to the end of a QuickTool, however can be inserted at any point.
- Fine Registration: Fine registration is only used with Point Clouds captured using an Imager and rotary table. This is normally added after the Add Readings to Point Cloud steps.
- Extract Feature: used to extract geometrical features from point cloud(s) in the QuickTool.
- Change Adapter: inserts a prompt step into a QuickTools program, to change the adapter of the FARO® Laser Tracker device, and apply this to subsequent measurements.
- Set Active Device Position: (Move Device) inserts a program step to move the device position. While recording the command, the new Device Position will be defined based on existing targets.
- Solve Device Position: (Move Device) inserts a program step to solve the device position. When the operator runs the QuickTools program, the Device Manager panel prompts the operator to re-measure the targets and solve the device position before continuing.
- Freeze Recalculation: insert before the Add Readings to point cloud step, to avoid automatic recalculation of alignments, feature extraction etc.
- Unfreeze Recalculation: insert after all Add Readings to point cloud steps, to initiate calculations using the point cloud data.
- Lock / Unlock QuickTool: allows the user to protect the QuickTool using a password. This protects the program from being edited, overwritten, or deleted from the measurement file.
- Remove Locks: allows the user to delete the password protection by entering the saved password.
Note: Once a command is inserted, its properties can be viewed and edited in the lower Properties window in the QuickTool panel. See Properties Window Options for more information.
- Properties Window – displayed at the QT panel foot, when a line is selected. There are several CAD View commands available in the toolbar of Properties window. Use these to assign, preview, or delete a specific view of the CAD part for any QuickTools program step.
- Save CAD View for Step: Manipulate the position of the CAD part in the CAD View window as desired, and click this button to save this view to the QuickTools program step.
- Clear Saved CAD View: Click this button to delete an associated CAD View from the QuickTools program step. If no CAD View has been saved to this step, this button is unavailable.
- Re-center To Saved CAD View: Click this button to re-centre the view to a saved CAD View from the QuickTools program step. If no CAD View has been saved to this step, this button is unavailable.
- Preview Saved CAD View: Click this button to preview an associated CAD View from the QuickTools program step. If no CAD View has been saved to this command, this button is unavailable.
Depending upon the command selected, the Properties window will display additional options.
This contains 2 tabs, one Basic and another for Advanced options.
Change Active Alignment
These options relate to which alignment or coordinate system is set active at this step.
These options relate to comment lines.
Inserts a prompt into a QuickTools program, to change the active probe of a Faro arm, or adapter of a Laser Tracker.
Move Device Position
Inserts a program step to move the device position. To enable a move device to be manually entered to a QuickTool, the user must first define the required position, and which feature are used, in Manage Devices in Devices tab.
Inserts a step to create a report to the user’s specifications. The report must first be created using the Report workspace.