This article lists the Release Notes for each version of FARO Zone 2D Software to date. The current version release notes are displayed at the top of the article. Previous revisions are contained in expanding sections below.
Navigating this article:
- Use the Table of Contents block in the upper right hand of this article to jump to a release.
- You can expand a version section by clicking the + button
- To search all versions, click the Expand All Versions button and then use the Ctrl+f search feature in your browser. Sections must be “expanded” to be searched.
FARO Zone 2D 2021.7.0723 Release Notes – July 2021
Road Tools – Sidewalks
The Road Tools have option to include a sidewalk on the outer perimeter of the roadway line, arc, and intersections. Sidewalk settings allow for width, color, texture, and thickness.
CDT (Coordinate Data Table) DXF Import
Import a DXF file into the CDT (Coordinate Data Table) to separate out all labels and geometry onto their own separate layers. This allows for point numbers, descriptions, and line work to be turned on/off and labels text size globally editable.
From the “hamburger” menu on the CDT pick “Import DWG/DXF Points”. This will bring up the file open
dialog for DXF and DWG files.
Once loaded you can use the CDT tools to make the same adjustments as you would with any other imported point data.
- FZ3-8393 Vehicle database- overhang do not display if calculated. FZ3-8331 Grid - Actual Snap point is offset
- FZ3-8320 Angle Tool 2D - remove Vertical / horizontal types
- FZ3-8314 Signs 2D - custom image only refresh after moving. Shape selection missing (no) FZ3-8312 Vehicle Data - Front overhang issues
- FZ3-8309 2D symbols - review spellings
- FZ3-8305 Symbol - Convert to Dashed - Doesn't work after damage FZ3-8294 Runtime Symbols for Vehicle Specs in 2D are Paint Color FZ3-8176 Road - Snapping
- FZ3-8290 Symbol - UI - Use Symbol Color - Investigate purpose and / or remove if necessary FZ3-7924 Grid - UI - Snap Grid doesn't refresh the show grid checkbox
FARO Zone 2D 2021.6.0625 Release Notes – June 2021
Start Page – Release Notes (What’s New)
An overview of the latest release notes has been added to the Start Page.
- Click here to get the latest release (if available).
- Close the release notes, giving more space for project thumbnails.
- Click here to see the full set of release notes.
- Clicking on the Release Notes icon will open the Knowledge Base page to the latest release notes if the “What’s New” dialog is showing. If the “What’s New” dialog has been turned OFF then clicking on the “Release Notes” icon will bring it back.
Print Dialog Rotate
A diagram can be rotated inside the print dialog tool before printing. You have the option to do a quick rotation in 90° increments or entering a specific value.
NOTE: This will not change the actual rotation of the drawing in Zone.
Area/Polygon Tool with Add Walls Option
A new polygon tool using the Measure Area tool functionality was added with the ability to convert the perimeter to our Wall Structure.
- Select the Area/Polygon tool from the rectangle tools menu.
- Draw the area.
- Click on “Add Walls”
Simple Annotation - Add annotations to the Zone 2go project (For example, look for “Fountain” in the Zone 2go browser).
Object fills can be converted to textures.
- Click on “Object Fill”
- Turn “Texture” ON
Road Intersection Median Texture
Change the Intersection Median’s color or texture.
Road Tool Median and Texture
Add a median to the Road Tool and change the Median’s color or texture.
Dimension Text Override
- Open the “Text” options in the Dimension Line panel.
- Turn the “Override Text” switch ON.
- Type in the new dimension text.
Updates and Bug Fixes
- FZ3-8211 FZ2 - Dimension Override - Checkbox Text control create for Dim Line HUD
- FZ3-8208 FZ2 review symbols - Hillsborough
- FZ3-8050 CDT - default Axis off. Add CDT Axis button CDT toolbar
- FZ3-8153 Signs - Add sizing grips to 2D
- FZ3-8152 Signs - Add aspect lock
- FZ3-8142 Symbol - Add ability to set paint color
- FZ3-8117 Scrollbars added to FZ2
- FZ3-8116 FARO Logo Branding - Quickbar logo
- FZ3-8114 ScanPlan: Wall thickness and Room name support
- FZ3-8107 Area command - copy to Draw menu - option in HUD to generate walls (Scanplan)
- FZ3-8048 AutoStats and Canadian Vehicle Specs Update
- FZ3-8218 CZD multiple island fills
- FZ3-8201 CZD Dimension auto detect flip
- FZ3-8194 FZ2 - CZD Island Fills - FAP symbol
- FZ3-8191 FZ2 - Dimension Overwrite - Creech AFB
- FZ3-8212 Mark Partain Google Map tiling issues
- FZ3-8200 Layer Mgr - cannot delete a Sublayers and all its objects
- FZ3-8192 NTSA - Greyscale symbols issue
- FZ3-8187 Arc Road - meter conversion issues
- FZ3-8169 Layer Manager - Selecting Item Issue
- FZ3-8160 Roads - Arc - Can't change the line type
- FZ3-8136 Dim1 - Don't trigger Value Changed when number is updated from grips
- FZ3-8125 Scrollbars - 4K size different than 2K size (width of bar).
- FZ3-8124 Area Wall - edit area effects wall - they should be separate
- FZ3-8119 Scrollbars - Resize ribbon after scrollbars added/removed
- FZ3-8118 Scrollbars - recalc scale based on canvas extents
- FZ3-8046 CDT - X and Z Codes connection in CDT
- FZ3-8035 Roads - FZ2 - Road Arc - Dash space not working
FARO Zone 2D 2021.4.0503 Release Notes – May 2021
The new Zone2go Logo:
Please note Zone 2go Viewer uses this logo to cover the hole under the 3D Scanner. If the drawing does not have SCENE Point Cloud, Zone 2go won’t show the logo since there is nothing to cover.
.FML file format
What is FML?
It’s a file containing geometric objects that can be imported into Floorplanner.com. Floorplanner is a lightweight online room designer for the real estate and home decorating market. This is an ideal platform for the ScanPlan and FARO Zone data.
NOTE: you can try out Floorplanner at www.floorplanner.com
There’s opportunity in real estate to use ScanPlan and Zone. Import ScanPlan projects into FZ2, clean up, add geometry (lines, walls, and areas). Export the finished drawing to the .fml format.
Both Zone 2D/3D products can now export to .fml thru the file menu> Save/Export options. Exported objects include -
- Area object with label
- Lines, Polylines
- Poly Curves
- Wall structures
NOTE: Wall height is applied to all non-Area objects in Floorplanner.
- Scan area with ScanPlan
- While scanning, use Room Planner to add rooms for FML export
Screen 1 Screen 2
- Import into FARO Zone
- Export FML file
- Go to floorplanner.com and select the FML file to create a project
- FZ3-7960 Z2go: Bring back "SCENE 2go" Logo, replace it with "Zone 2go"
- FZ3-7956 Layer Mgr - Show all was not showing sublayers ON in UI
- FZ3-7955 Layer Mgr - Undo refreshes layer list
- FZ3-7951 Intersection UI range check
- FZ3-7910 NHTSA - Damage Fix
- FZ3-7896 UI - Scaling DPI up to max and UI scale to extra-large causes issues with UI over detection
- FZ3-7891 ScanPlan v1.4: Optimized vs. non-optimized lines
- FZ3-7874 ScanPlan v1.4: LINE_VIEW format update
- FZ3-7872 Plaque 704 - _data3D null in pick
- FZ3-7870 Layer Report - Name not grabbed properly
- FZ3-7865 Z2g: "Start SCENE 2go on Windows.bat" replace SCENE 2go with Zone 2go
- FZ3-7864 Dimension Line: Outside Arrows dim line issue
- FZ3-7860 Group Text with punctuation Copy/Paste issues 11' 9"
- FZ3-7853 RR-FZ2D is giving an "unhandled exception" when I use TR or XT on a line that has a RR line type
- FZ3-7847 Add name field to Area
- FZ3-7833 CDT - Hidden Points - clear selected points if hidden - do on CDT close
- FZ3-7824 ScanPlan: upgrade firmware and test new ScanPlan items
- FZ3-7815 Hidden CDT Points still reflected in ZA extents (3d/2d/print)
- FZ3-7814 Layer Mgr - has objects bitmap (circle) - change to small blue and red arrows
- FZ3-7813 Layer Mgr - Select and delete (garbage can) an object will ask to delete the next object
- FZ3-7765 Signs - 2D mode Text draw
- FZ3-7761 VS CDT display issue - 2nd time in Show CDT comes up blank
- FZ3-7750 Damage - Rename "offset" to "Free Space"
- FZ3-7737 Z2g: Overview map scale off for some project
- FZ3-7687 Ribbon - Close in mode toggle defaults to on (even though it starts off)
- FZ3-7606 FARO Licensing UX - .NET 5.0
- FZ3-7559 FAR - French Save / Load - From Tech support
- FZ3-7555 Layer Report - Add parent name to the sub-layer pages
- FZ3-7554 Layer Report - Show Parent Layer with sub-layer data
- FZ3-5341 Symbol Color - Fill Oddity
FARO Zone 2D 2021.3.0325 Release Notes – March 2021
Dirt Road Edge Feature
Covert a Road Tool straight and arc type to a dirt road. Use the Dirt Road Edge line type to convert any line type to a “rough” road edge.
Watch the video >>>
- Street Tool – Straight
- Street Tool – Arc
- Line Type – Properties
Use the road tools to create straight or arc roadway sections.
|(1) Road Tool Straight
(2) Road Tool Arc
Convert the selected straight or arc road section to a dirt road.
Select the road section and turn fill OFF.
Convert any line geometry to the dirt road edge line type.
FAQ – link to Zone 2D and 3D frequently asked questions
Click in the Search bar to open the pull-down menu.
Click on FAQ to open the Zone FAQ section in FARO’s Knowledge Base.
- FZ3-7786 CDT refactoring
- FZ3-7695 CDT point visibility checkbox
- FZ3-7774 Polyline - Convert to Dirt Edge - Not working FZ3-7772 Wall Geometry - Section - Null Error
- FZ3-7771 Images - Geometry 2D - Error in Dispose FZ3-7766 FAR - Issue creating preview
- FZ3-7747 Z2g: A duplicate File Reference created FZ3-7731 Layer Manager - Show All, Hide All
- FZ3-7723 SCENE Tiff Icon, all references to be "Ortho-Photo" FZ3-7716 CZD crashes on load - from Support (Chimney.CZD) FZ3-7693 Vehicle database - checkbox instead of radio
- FZ3-7683 Replace Tiff cause original image to delete
- FZ3-7669 Manual button on ribbon does not use media viewer
- FZ3-7668 Media Viewer (dotnetbrowser): Add Copy URL link to viewer (upper right) FARO Assist Help
- FZ3-7666 Crosswalk - Can't change to color black
- FZ3-7597 CDT - Allow making points invisible - make sure points stay invisible in PDF FZ3-7590 new Zone Icons - Logos
- FZ3-7581 FARO Zone 2D Release Pipelines InTouch
- FZ3-7573 FZ2 Load Drawing shouldn't change filename/path when Admin command line checkbox checked
- FZ3-7547 Google Map - Placing a map should turn the layer back on FZ3-7534 Dimension Angle - Allow setting custom arrow size
- FZ3-7509 Intersection - 2D - road is being filled on Zone2go Export FZ3-7504 Dimension line should retain its own properties
- FZ3-7233 Virtual Survey - Point size while drawing doesn't work
FARO Zone 2D 2021.2.0301 Release Notes – March 2021
- 2021.2 Is a refactoring and bug fix release (no “new” features)
- FZ3-6864 - Layer Mgr - Move objects to another layer not Undoable
- FZ3-7082 - Image Scale - drag extend grip whacks out
- FZ3-7361 - Misc. UI Refactoring HUDs and tools
- FZ3-7491 - Optimization for loading large imported ScanPlan images
- FZ3-7510 - Road show surface toggle not being save
- FZ3-7489 - 2D Vehicles, add Square Generic Solid and Dashed for PHX
- FZ3-7514 - Start Page Translations
- FZ3-7607 - Update FARO Academy link – goes to learn.faro.com
- FZ3-7634 - Preferences (F5) - crash if backup path doesn't exist
- FZ3-7585 - Circle - 2D - Fill option
- FZ3-7592 - 2D Help Ribbon - update like 3D
- FZ3-7233 - Virtual Survey – can’t change point size while in virtual survey
- FZ3-7573 - Pembroke PD – file name lock Admin setting
- FZ3-7594 - Mag window open, very slow with tiff image
FARO Zone 2D 2021.1.0127 Release Notes – January 2021
- Help/Search System
- Search bar is dual purpose to find help in FARO Assist and the online Help manual.
- The search bar replaces the FARO Assist and Help (?) buttons.
- Clicking in the Search Bar without entering a key word will bring up the links to FARO Assist the Help Manual.
- If a key word is entered the FARO Assist links will be populated in the list. If you click on the Help Manual link the keyword will be thrown into the Help Manual search automatically.
- 2D Symbols Dashed Outline Feature
- Option to convert lines in a 2D symbol solid to dashed.
- Option to convert lines in a 2D symbol solid to dashed.
- FZ3-7473 2D Automobiles - toggle solid / dash lines
- FZ3-7472 Symbols - Add Dashed line mode
- FZ3-7471 Layer Mgr - missing model instead of bad extents
- FZ3-7344 Layer - Delete object asks twice if you want to delete it from garbage can
- FZ3-7379 Layer Mgr - turn on sublayer should force hidden parent layer on
- FZ3-7374 Layer Report - Zoom Full each layer page
- FZ3-7278 Layer Report - Add progress bar
- FZ3-7469 Damage Form - Reverse Checkbox - Move over to CDT Properties and rename to "Reverse Point Order"
- FZ3-7465 North Arrows - put NorthArrow7 back into library
- FZ3-7450 Snaps - Grid snap not working properly
- FZ3-7415 Ribbon - Search Bar - Add default items (Help Manual and FARO Assist)
- FZ3-7405 Help Manual with Search - type "point" in FARO Assist search bar
- FZ3-7412 Hang up - change snap grid to point ( . ) value ex. .5 ft
- FZ3-7400 Dimension Angle: add Custom Text option (see Dimension Line)
- FZ3-7399 Error Logs - Not saving to the documents folder
- FZ3-7390 Rectangle - 2D - Remove champers edge in 2D
- FZ3-7389 Rectangle - Grips in 2D should be in the middle of border like 3D
- FZ3-7380 GPS ref marker when selected doesn't have HUD - use GPS ScanPlan as example
- FZ3-7360 Forms Position and Size
- FZ3-7357 CDT - format x,y,z but labels change to easting, northing, elev
- FZ3-7351 Add Left/Right lane does not take on the line color - seems to be white always
- FZ3-7333 Text Label - Leader thickness when flat doesn't work
- FZ3-7307 Sign Maker - Drawn Symbol - Saved thumbnail is low quality
FARO Zone 2D 2021.0.1209 Release Notes – December 2020
Welcome to the latest and greatest release of FARO Zone 2D. Moving forward the Help Manual will be updated with new release features soon after they’re released. Find the Help Manual on the Quick Bar “?” or on the Help ribbon.
- Vector Signs
- Vehicle Database – Expert AutoStats Lite
- Layer Report
- Road Tools
- Rounded Rectangle
- Parking Lot Lines
Zone2go allows the user to export and share FZ projects to the storage media of your choice. The Zoone2go viewer is portable and does not require an Internet connection.
The Zone2go viewer and FZ projects are meant to be saved on a USB stick or other storage device and used on a Windows or MacOS device. You can also export to a folder and then copy the folder to a Windows or MacOS tablet or burn on a DVD.
The Zone2go Viewer will Capture and Display:
- Works with or without SCENE Point Cloud
- Automatically generates an intuitive Overview Map
- Panoramic Views are generated for each scan position
- All FARO Zone diagram geometry and annotations will be displayed
- 3D View for each scan for best understanding of spatial details
- Measurements in SCENE point cloud Panoramic View and 3D View
- No installation required. You can launch the Viewer directly from the USB stick
- Open/Create FZ3 project (with or without SCENE Point Cloud)
- Add Witness feature in the drawing (optional)
- Add annotations/File References (optional)
You can add the following Zone 2go annotations:
- Animations (using File reference)
- Report (.pdf)
- 360 Image
- 360 animation (using File reference)
- Dimension, Label and other FZ items
- Hyperlink (using File reference)
How to use:
Click on Zone2go Launchpad
What makes a Zone2go project? Here are the basics:
- With no annotations or pano views you will only generate a top down overview map of your scene.
- With no annotations or pano views, but you have a SCENE point cloud project, you will create an overview map and be able to view the point cloud from each scan position.
- To create a project that will let you view points of interest you will need to use the Total View tool to setup a 360 pano view at each position.
- You can also setup point of interest locations from the Zone2go launch pad by navigation to the desired position and clicking on the camera icon.
- You can use the Witness tool, placed at a point of interest, and that will automatically create a pano view that will appear in the Zone2go launch pad.
- All snapshots, Witness Views, and Total View snapshots are automatically converted to panoramic images when you export the project from Zone2go.
Let’s Step Through It
All snapshots and referenced files will be displayed on the Zone2go launch pad. This will include everything you already added to your diagram. All snapshots, Witness Views, and Total View snapshots are automatically converted to panoramic images when you export the project from Zone2go.
Once in the Zone2go launch pad you can continue to add file references and 360 degreee panoramic images.
- Add a file reference.
- Add a panoramic snapshot. Move to the position you want a new snapshot before clicking.
- Exporet your Zone2go project.
- Select Zone2go export folder.
- A confirmation dialog box shows up after Zone 2go project is successfully exported
- Click on “Launch Zone 2go” button to launch the Zone 2go Viewer, or “Open Export Folder” to open the Export folder.
Layer Report Tool
Use the Layer Report to create a PDF document that includes the overall diagram on the first page and then puts each layer and sub-layer on their own page. This is very useful especially with ScanPlan data. In this example the ScanPlan layers are on separate pages. All file links such as the panoramic photos in this case are listed on pages as well.
Layer Manager and Pages in Report
Line Work and File References
Vehicle Database – Expert AutoStats
We’ve added an option for Expert AutoStats data in the Vehicle Database tool. This is provided by our good friends at www.4n6Xprt.com
- Open the Vehicle Specs database tool.
- Choose between the CVS (Canadian Vehicle Specs) or AutoStats database.
- If there is data missing such as “overhang” the model row will be highlighted orange.
- Not enough data to calculate front and rear overhang data. When this occurs the outline of the vehicle will not include the wheel positions. Try the other database and compare.
(1) 2D top down contoured outline display
(2) Outline pull down options
Updates to the Road Tools.
- Easier road arm and individual lane selection
- Improved properties panel interface
- Median Length Option
(1) Add Median
(2) Median Length grip
(3) Median Position grip
- Turn Lane Grips
- Create Tangent Arc Road
(1) Select road arm, click to add a tangent road arc
(2) Road arc settings
- Arc road lane data in HUD
- Convert line or arc to road
- Road Markings built into road system
(1) Pull down list of road markings – you can place multiple markings on the same lane by placing one, deselecting the lane, reselecting, and placing another mark.
(2) Mark settings. The markers can also be moved and rotated with the selection grips.
- Road tool (Fill Mode On/OFF) – turn the road fill on or off. Change the global color of all the lines.
Option to create and save vector (true geometry) as a sign accessible from the Signs tool.
- Draw your sign design using any of the program geometry; lines, arcs, curves, circles, fills, etc…
- Select it
- Click on “Create Sign” in the multi-select properties panel.
Saving the New Vector Sign to Custom Signs
- Select the newly created sign.
- Click on Save
- Give the new Sign a name.
- Open the Custom Signs menu
Round of the corners of a rectangle simply by drawing or selecting a rectangle and turning the “Rounded” option ON. Adjust the rounded corner by changing the radius value.
Parking Lot Lines
Convert a line into a modifiable parking lot stall line type. You can set all the stall dimensions and whether stalls are displayed on both sides of the center line. Extend the line to add more stalls.
FARO Zone 2D 2020 and Earlier Release Notes
Refer to the link below for FARO Zone 2D version history information.