There is no specific limit for the number of connected users for WebShare itself. That is, the user limit of the BlazeDS Tomcat webserver is in effect. However, measuring is very demanding regarding the CPU and especially the RAM since parts of the scans have to be loaded for that. Therefore if WebShare 4.9 is frequently used by several users, it should run on a server with as much memory as possible.
For WebShare 4.9, we set a limit of 512 MByte free memory where new users cannot connect anymore so that the server does not run out of memory when current users load more projects or make more measurements. In this case, the WebShare server will become unresponsive and a restart might be needed.
If a WebShare installation runs on a server with low memory and it’s not possible to install it on a better server which is strongly recommended, it is possible to reduce the memory limit in the Windows Registry:
- Shut down the WebShare server.
- Open the registry by entering regedit in the command line prompt of the Windows start menu.
- Open the folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/FARO/WebShareServer/Settings
- If the registry key WebShareMinimalFreeMemory does not yet exist, create it:
- Right click in the main window and select New -> Expandable String Value (in German: Neu -> Wert der erweiterbaren Zeichenfolge)
- Name the new entry: WebShareMinimalFreeMemory
- The value of this registry key is the minimal free memory below which new users are no longer accepted.
- So if you want to increase the number of users, you have to decrease this value, for example to 250 for 250 MByte free memory.
- Now restart the WebShare server.
Keywords: limitation, exception, error, scene, webshare 4.9, 5.0