By default, Pointing Compensation is performed by measuring 6 points at varying distances with the greatest distance being 10 meters from the tracker. Testing by FARO has determined that by measuring 6 of points over 10 meters provides very high accuracy over the entire measurement volume the tracker. If your measurement environment is not large enough to perform the Pointing Compensation over the default 10 meters, the maximum distance can be changed to allow you to compensate the tracker in your environment.
Important Note: Changing the defualt setting of CompIT can degrade accuracy if too short a distance is used or too few points.
The maximum Pointing Compensation distance can be changed by:
1) Open CompIT.
2) Select Customize.
3) Select the Pointing Compensation tab.
4) Change the Compensation type from Standard to Custom.
5) Change the Maximum Range to the maximum available distance you have available. This distance must be greater than 3 meters and must be less than 35 meters.
6) Set the desired number of targets or points to be measured during the compensation. The minimum number of points allowed is 3 and maximum allowed is 20. FARO recommends using 5 or 6 target points.
7) Press the OK button.
8) You will receive a prompt verifying that you would like to use non-default settings. After pressing “Yes”, you will receive a confirmation that the modified Pointing Compensation settings have been applied to the current session of CompIT.
9) You will receive a prompt asking if you would like to save these current settings for future use. If you select “Yes”, these settings will be saved to the hard drive on your computer and for future use. These settings can be recalled by pressing the “Load Saved Settings” button on the Customize Screen or each time you open CompIT by changing options available on the General tab.
Keywords: CompIT, customize, Compensation, pointing compensation, pointing comp