Workaround for Utilizing Measure without giving Admin access.
IMPORTANT USER NOTE:
1. Improper use of the registry editor can render your system inoperable or damaged.
2. This workaround requires that you grant access to some computer resources that could open security hole that can be utilized for malicious purposes.
Workaround number 1:
1. If the user knows or was granted local computer administrator password, while themselves is not a local administrator, they can choose to utilize runas command (right click on the shortcut, and click runas) and enter the local administrator and password. This way they still running as normal user most of the time and only elevate to admin when they run measure. Some corporate IT policy may not allow this.
Workaround number 2:
1. Using the local administrator account launch registry editor (Regedit.exe in WinXP or Regedt32.exe in Win2K), and modify the security permission under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\FARO\, grant the user full control access from that key and down.
2. Using the local administrator account, make sure the user has write, delete access on the following directory and directory under it (consult your operating system help if you don't know how to modify directory permission)
- \Program Files\FARO\CAM2 Measure
- \Program Files\FARO\SPC Graph
- \Program Files\FARO\Softcheck Tool Manager
3. If the software is install under all user make sure you have write, delete access to the following folder under the all user profile \Document and Settings\All User\Application Data\FARO