The On-Site Compensation process is a procedure to test and improve the angular accuracy of the scanner using SCENE software. Note: On-Site Compensation is only available on FocusS models.
|Time to Complete||
Preparation Before Compensation
- Site setup
Before you begin the On-Site Compensation process, ensure that the scan site has the following facilities:
- Target sheets must be setup at the scan site at regular distance to the laser scanners between 1.5m to 3m.
- No windows or other reflective planes: The markers on the target sheets would be reflected if the scan site has any windows or reflective surfaces. This can cause incorrect measurements.
- Lighting conditions are less important because On-Site Compensation is done with the laser, video images are not used.
- Connect Laser Scanner to Computer through Wireless LAN
To be able to transfer the scanned data directly to your computer, you must connect the computer with the laser scanner and through WLAN to remotely access and control the scanner.
- For the connection method, refer to the user manual.
- Connect at a distance of 1 to 2 m without leaving the scanner for fast data transfer.
- Place Targets
- Place at least six target sheets on the site.
- The target sheets must be placed in a vertical range of -50° to +50° from the scanner device. Note: Under some circumstances, +50° can only be achieved if the target is placed on the ceiling.
- Distribute the target sheets uniformly over the specified range. At least one board must be close to the horizon (0°).
- The distance between the target sheets and the scanner must be between 1.5 m to 3 m.
- All target sheets must be vertically aligned.
- Laser Scanner Placement
- Mount the laser scanner on a tripod.
- Place tripod and scanner on stable, flat surface. The tripod must not move during scanning.
- Keep the distance between the target sheet and the scanner between 1.5m to 3m.
- Adjust the tripod to keep the scanner horizontal.
- Either 0° or 180 ° directions can be used for the horizontal rotation direction toward the target.
Site location example:
- Distance between target and scanner: 1.7m
- Scanner installation height: 1.12m
- Target top height: 2.2m
Scan & Compensate
Compensate with SCENE according to the user's manual and execute scanning and correction. When the Compensation is completed, " Compensation report" is displayed together with the Compensation result.
- Select whether you want to apply the compensation data to the scanner.
- Click disconnect to disconnect from scanner and finish the On-Site compensation.
- To apply this compensation to the scanner choose yes and click Finish. Choose no if you do not want to apply this compensation.
- When the compensation is finished, the Compensation Report is displayed with the results of the compensation. Open the compensation report as a PDF by clicking the button Open Report.
- Log data is stored together with Compensate report. (About 300 Mb with all data) Most of the data is scan data. Be sure to erase it properly when compressing the disk capacity.
Error: The process did not identify enough targets for compensation.
- Solution: In the output folder a targetImage.png file is stored. This image shows the identified markers as blue circles. Areas with a sufficient amount of detected targets have a green background color. In case of an insufficient amount of detected targets the background color is red.
Error: Reading and writing to the selected data output folder failed.
- Solution: Make sure that you have permission to read and write in the selected output folder. Ensure that you have sufficient disk space. Approximately 330MB is necessary to perform an On-Site compensation.
Error: No consistent solution could be determined.
- Solution: Make sure that the tripod and the targets did not moving during the procedure.
Error: The SD card of the scanner could not be accessed.
- Solution: Make sure that the SD card is inserted and that it is not write-protected and has sufficient free space left (approximately 330MB).
Error: Communication with the scanner failed.
- Solution: Make sure that the WLAN connection to the scanner is stable. If this error appears when connecting to the scanner or applying the compensation parameters, try to repeat the corresponding step.
- User Manual for the Focus M70 and S70/S150/S350
- Quick Start Guides for the Focus M70 and S70/S150/S350
- Technical Specification Sheet for the Focus M70 and S70/S150/S350
On-Site Compensation, Wireless connection, Wi-Fi, WLAN, Target