This article lists the Release Notes for each version of As-Built™ for Autodesk Revit® Software to date. The current version release notes are displayed at the top of the article. Previous revisions are contained in expanding sections below.
Navigating this article:
- Use the Table of Contents block in the upper right hand of this article to jump to a release.
- You can expand a version section by clicking the + button
- To search all versions, click the Expand All Versions button and then use the Ctrl+f search feature in your browser. Sections must be “expanded” to be searched.
As-Built for Revit 2021.0 Release Notes
Welcome to As-Built for Revit 2021.0
FARO® As-Built™ for Autodesk® Revit® provides quick and intuitive workflows for processing 3D laser scan data directly into Autodesk Revit using Revit objects and BIM models. It is the perfect complement for Revit users working with large point clouds and integrates seamlessly with the familiar Revit user interface. It features a wide range of evaluation tools for 3D laser scan data with customized commands for modeling and detailing BIM elements.
This software is applicable to various industry applications, including architecture, civil/survey, construction, facility management, historic preservation, mechanical, electrical, plumbing (MEP), and more.
This version supports the latest version of Revit 2022. We also introduce our new software logo.
As part of FARO’s continuing commitment to deliver reliable and professional quality software, this version also includes a series of enhancements and improvements that address customer-reported issues.
This article provides a detailed description of each enhancement, enabling you to get started quickly.
As-Built 2021.0 for Autodesk Revit requires:
- Microsoft Windows 10 version 1903 or higher
As-Built 2021.0 for Autodesk Revit supports:
- Revit 2019 to 2022, 64 bit.
- All Revit products of these versions (Architecture®, Structure®, MEP® and Revit® full version from Architecture, Engineering & Construction Industry Collection®).
- Autodesk ReCap® point cloud formats (RCS, RCP).
Earlier releases can be made available for older Revit versions.
VirtuSurv replaced by As-Built Modeler
As stated in earlier announcements VirtuSurv, which was part of the As-Built for Autodesk products, has been discontinued. It is replaced by a more versatile and modern application called As-Built Modeler. Please click here for more information.
An As-Built 2021 for Autodesk Revit license includes FARO’s new As-Built™ Modeler.
As-Built Modeler provides high-resolution, external scan views that are more intuitive and easier to navigate than the point cloud in Revit. Clicking points in these scan views directly generates geometry in Revit using the SendToRevit App.
New Clearly Structured Ribbon Tabs
To provide users with more clarity and a better overview, we have restructured the ribbon tabs. The new structure is aligned with the division according to building disciplines in Revit. We now have four ribbon tabs: Architecture, Structure, Systems and Analysis, as shown below.
- REVIT-1462: Improved robustness and error reporting for As-Built configuration files.
- REVIT-1325: Improved guidance for our customers for reporting issues with As Built for Revit in the case of exceptions.
- REVIT-1451: Save as Family now supports the selection of any kind of model line, including Splines.
- REVIT-1514: Fixed an exception in Fit Wall that occurred when cancelling.
- REVIT-1537: Improved warnings and cancel workflow for currently unsupported taps in Align Pipes.
- REVIT-1481: Fixed an exception in Align Pipes (fast-mode), when connection points where invalidated during alignment. A warning is displayed instead, when appropriate.
- REVIT-1440: Fixed a bug in Align Pipes, where the alignment mode (fast mode / precise mode) was not selected as expected in certain cases.
- REVIT-1310: Fixed an exception in Align Pipes that incorrectly reported “KubitBase::Error: healPipeLength - some pipe ends must be moved.”
- REVIT-1309: Mixed connector types in piping systems, e.g., valves with connections to electrical equipment no longer cause an exception in Place Pipe Fitting
- REVIT-1272: Detect and automatically remove dangling links in piping systems to avoid corrupted links in storage.
- RICC-100: Fixed transaction handling in Fit Pipe, when the fitting operation was not successful.
- REVIT-1505: Improved visualization in Surface Analysis. (Note: Maximum accuracy is provided, when exporting surface analysis results to a file.)
- REVIT-1271: Added validation for user input in Clash Detection.
- REVIT-1549: Fixed multiple possible freezes in SendToRevit App for As-Built Modeler, SCENE and SCENE LT, increasing robustness. Also fixed an exception in As-Built Architecture → Column / Two Level-based Family when no Type is selected.
Slanted or Tapered Walls
Please note, that the Fit Wall command and the Align Walls command do not yet support slanted walls, or tapered walls. The selection of walls in Fit Wall is restricted to walls with a vertical cross section.
The user interface of As-Built for Revit 2021 does not yet completely support 4K displays. Dialog windows may look slightly abnormal. We are working to solve these issues and remove this limitation in future versions.
In certain cases, clicking points very quickly in succession during a SendToRevit command may cause As-Built Modeler to freeze.
- Slow clicking of points (2 sec pause between clicks) reliably avoids this problem.
- Disabling the SendToRevit plugin in As-Built Modeler, quitting and restarting As-Built Modeler, then re-enabling SendToRevit may (temporarily) fix the problem.
At the moment, we are only providing an updated user manual in English. Updates for the other languages are currently being created and will be provided with one of our coming patch releases.
As-Built for Revit 2020.2 Release Notes
This second and last maintenance release for As-Built for Revit 2020 includes the following fixed issues.
- REVIT-1302: Fixed an issue in Align Pipes dialog, which prevented the correct selection of the algorithm mode.
- REVIT-1481: Fixed occasional exception in Align Pipes command.
- REVIT-1549: Fixed multiple possible freezes in SendToRevit App for As-Built Modeler, SCENE and SCENE LT, increasing robustness. Also fixed an exception in As-Built Architecture > Column / Two Level-based Family when no Type is selected.
- REVIT-1451: Save as Family now supports the selection of any kind of model line, including Splines.
As-Built for Revit 2020.1 Release Notes
This first maintenance release for As-Built for Revit 2020 includes the following enhancements, improvements, and fixed issues.
Localized User Manual
- REVIT-1337: corrected localized license manager screen shots
- REVIT-1327: Pipe Fitting families that have only fix nominal diameters (instead of parametrized diameters) failed to process in Place Pipe Fitting. They can be used now.
- REVIT-1310: In case of cyclic pipe runs and short pipe segments, Align Pipes might have closed with an exception box. This is fixed now.
- REVIT-1309/REVIT-1209/REVIT-1272: Solved bug in Piping tools (Place Pipe Fitting, Align Pipes, Set/Unset/Auto-Link): It turned out that exchanging fitting types in Revit Properies UI can be problematic if the Fitting is not supported by As-Built for Revit. Also adding Equipment to the pipe run that is not supported by As-Built for Revit software caused the As-Built Piping commands to quit unexpectedly with an exception box. These MEP parts will be ignored now, the links to the elements will be deleted. NOTE: Align Pipes will consider the pipe-run until the last supported MEP part in the pipe run.
- REVIT-1271: Clash Detection could be started despite invalid input in dialog fields. Obviously with strange results. You now get a warning: Invalid value!
- REVIT-1312: Buttons in Settings dialog were not localized. They are translated now.
- REVIT-1325: Update Exception-Dialog text for more valuable customer feedback
- License Manager UI: Several options that weren’t localized yet are now translated
- REVIT-1315: localized installers do now show the EULA in the according language (no longer English only)
As-Built for Revit 2020.0 Release Notes
This is the first release for As-Built for Revit 2020. For information on new features in this version, please refer to the What’s New Document.
As-Built for Revit 2019.3 Release Notes
This third maintenance release for As-Built for Revit 2019, and includes the following fixed issues.
- REVIT-1240: Align Walls lead to an exception when deleting a wall of a wall group. This is now fixed.
- REVIT-1222: Equipment with mixed connector types caused exception. Was related to special equipment. Invalid shapes are now filtered in advance. User gets a message.
- REVIT-1195: Exception when beams are attached: detach and reattach Beams/Colums in Align Structural Elements. You now get a warning message "The selected columns and framings are attached to objects other than beams. These attachments must be disconnected. After applying the constraints, an attempt will be made to restore all attachments." And Revit highlights errors while re-attaching.
- REVIT-1200: Fit Beam with vertical beams: insertion location was wrong (completely different level). This is fixed now. Fitted beams are on correct level and position.
- REVIT-1159: Corrections for French menu
- REVIT-1139: Ortho-Image did not produce what you see is what you get even with Single Scans. It now does.
- REVIT-1124: Insert Ortho Image in Family Editor: Avoid Exception for Invalid File. We improved our check for invalid file formats.
As-Built for Revit 2019.2 Release Notes
This second maintenance release for As-Built for Revit 2019, and includes the following enhancements, improvements, and fixed issues.
New As-Built Modeler included
An As-Built for Revit license now includes FARO’s new As-Built Modeler.
As-Built Modeler provides high-resolution external scan views that are more intuitive and easier to navigate than the point cloud in Revit. Clicking points in these scan views directly generates geometry in Revit using the SendToRevit App in As-Built Modeler.
The VirtuSurv Tools ribbon tab of As-Built for Revit has been renamed to reflect that these tools can also be used with the SendToRevit App from As-Built Modeler:
Scan positions can now be imported from a scan position file exported from As-Built Modeler:
Activation of As-Built Modeler Functionality
All customers with a valid As-Built for Revit 2019 license are eligible to use As-Built Modeler 2019.
To activate the functionality you need to update your license as follows:
- Customers with a valid maintenance contract for a local single-user license of As-Built for Revit can use the online update or the license portal.
- Customers with a license for As-Built for Revit 2019
- without valid maintenance at the time of the update, or
- with network licenses, or
- without internet access
Contact customer service to perform a manual activation.
- REVIT-1109: Un-desired Zoom out during all commands that require to pick points, e.g. Fit pipe, Fit beam, Fit Wall, etc.
- REVIT-1110: In 2D views picking points was not possible if an active work plane had an undesired angle to the view. This is fixed.
Prepare Point Cloud
- REVIT-1091: In certain situations, Revit crashed during usage of Prepare Point Cloud. For instance when the view section was only limited in one direction (top or bottom) and not both.
- REVIT-1075: Cancelling the Prepare Point Cloud command sometimes did not work or was slow.
- REVIT-1047: In certain situation the Prepare Point Cloud command lead to an exception "The input point lies outside of Revit design limits."
- REVIT-1096: Prepare Point Cloud was not respecting the view extends correctly and could take more time than needed. This is fixed.
Create Ortho Image
- REVIT-1013: In certain situations, the Ortho Image command lead to an exception: "The input point lies outside of Revit design limits."
Scan Position Import
- REVIT-1073: Depending on the length unit of the Revit project, the scan positions imported from a Scan position txt file were placed and displayed incorrectly. This has been fixed. When using VirtuSurv to create the scan position txt, save them in meter.
- REVIT-1050: Improved startup time/performance
- REVIT-1063: Updated FARO Licensing package
As-Built for Revit 2019.1 Release Notes
This first maintenance release for As-Built for Revit 2019, and includes the following enhancements, improvements, and fixed issues.
The user manual is now available in all languages As-Built for Revit supports: English, German, Spanish, French, Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese and Italian.
The info dialog now also shows the internal version number. This helps in case support is needed.
Surface Analysis - Renamed Display Style
Since many users got confused on how to update the display style of the As-Built Surface Analysis results using the Revit "Edit Style" command, we renamed the title of the legend created by As-Built:
Also, the Display Style was renamed to Point Cloud Deviation Display Style for more clarity:
To change the Default Analysis Display Style:
- Select the legend
- Use Edit Style and select the desired style, e.g. USIBD LOA 30 or select the new default style directly in the view properties.
To apply a new display style to the current view:
- Go to the view properties Analysis Display Settings > Edit
- Click the ellipsis in the Analysis Display Style column
- Select your desired style, e.g. USIBD LOA50
Clash Detection – Grouped Transactions
To make Undo more efficient, we grouped the transactions that are done during clash detection.
- REVIT-513: Fixed exception in Auto Link command.
- REVIT-998: Showing empty clash list lead to exception. Now it’s possible to show an empty clash list. Also, the Show clash list button is always enabled, so if the command was executed before and no clash list is shown, the user may open up the clash list after starting the dialog.
- REVIT-1022: Increased robustness when picking a point. An exception occurred when picking a point. The problem was that the plane needed to select a point could not be reset correctly.
- REVIT-956: Improved error handling. Expected exceptions of Worksharing (especially of CheckOutElements) are caught and reported as error messages to the user.
Installation and Start-Up Exceptions
- REVIT-1002: Warning message when Apploader starts twice
- REVIT-964: Start-up exception now shows a suggested solution
- REVIT-980: We increased the robustness of the Config for invalidated document keys. There were multiple reports of an exception that was caused when accessing the config with an invalidated document as key for the Config dictionary.
- REVIT-1014: Updated licensing component
As-Built for Revit 2019 Release Notes
This is the first release for As-Built for Revit 2019, refer to the What’s New Document for a more detailed explanation of new enhancements, improvements, and fixed issues.
As-Built for Revit 2018 and Earlier Release Notes
Refer to the link below for As-Built for Revit 2018 through PointSense 15.0 version history information.