When using FARO software, your computer should only use one graphics card. If your computer has two graphics cards, set one as the system default. There are two ways to specify that your computer should use a particular graphics card. See below for details.
- Specify the graphics card at the BIOS level, so the correct card can be accessed when the computer boots.
- Set the the preferred graphics card in the graphics card control panel.
Many computers are have two graphics cards:one integrated and one dedicated. Each type of card is listed in the Microsoft Windows Device Manager. Graphics display problems can occur in FARO software when computers have both types of graphics cards, so configure your computer to only use one type of card. As FARO software is graphics intensive, we recommend the NVIDIA graphics card for all FARO software.
Please review this table before you begin to ensure your success.
|Time to Complete||15 minutes|
Set the Graphics Card in the System BIOS
CAM2 Users: Disabling the integrated graphics card may cause issues with CAM2 2018.1 and later.
- Restart the computer and hold the Escape key. (Note: The "entering startup" menu will be displayed at the bottom left of the screen)
- Select Bios setup.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Select Built-in Device options.
- Under "Graphics" you will see a drop down option, select "Discrete Graphics".
- Select the Main tab and then select "Save Changes and Exit".
- Restart the computer.
- As the system logo is loading, press the F12 key to get to the system BIOS.
- Select BIOS Setup.
- From the BIOS screen, expand the Video group.
- Select Optimus.
- Un-check Enable Optimus.
- Select Apply at the bottom right.
- Select Exit at the bottom right.
Set the Graphics Card in the Graphics Card Control Panel
For the purposes of example, we use the NVIDIA graphics card. Substitute your graphics card name instead if you are using a different graphics card. You may have to look up instructions for your specific graphics cards online. Please contact your computer vendor for more information about how to deactivate the integrated graphic card if your are not using a NVIDIA graphics card.
- Right-click on the desktop and choose NVIDIA Control Panel.
- On the left hand side, select 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings.
- Above I would like to use the following 3D settings, a drop-down box appears if there is more than one video/graphics card. Toggle the drop-down menu for the system to use the NVIDIA video/graphics card as the default. You can also set selected programs to use different video/graphics cards.
- How do I update my NViIDA graphics card driver
- If Measure Q or Measure or Measure Q does not display properly, if the software crashes, or if Microsoft Direct X error appears, what can I do
- What settings should I use for optimal graphics in Measure Q
- I am having viewing issues with FARO SCENE and 3rd party or high end graphics card. What can I do
invisible geometries, display, graphic card problems, video card problems, no features, cad display, nvidia, dual video cards, dual graphics cards, multiple graphics cards, multiple video cards, 2 graphics cards, 2 video cards, 10, direct x, d3dx9_41.dll, dll error