Most batteries supplied by FARO are Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) batteries. Over use, time, and temperature fluctuations Li-Ion batteries will gradually lose their maximum capacity and its ability to hold a charge. Below are some guidelines to maximize their lifespan:
- Charge or discharge the battery to approximately 50% of capacity before storing. Storing the battery at 50% capacity when not in use helps the battery maintain its usable capacity.
- Storing the battery at low charge for periods of time may reduce its usable capacity resulting in shorter run time.
- Storing the battery at no charge or a deep discharged state may result in its internal circuitry entering “fault mode” where it can no longer be charged.
- Storing the battery at full charge for periods of time may reduce its usable capacity resulting in shorter run time.
- Fully charge the battery the day of or the day before you need it for your application.
- When placing in long term storage, check the battery every 4-6 months. Charge back to approximately 50% as required.
Note: New batteries may be shipped with a lower charge level as required by shipping regulations. If a new battery is not going to be used immediately with your FARO device, charge the battery up to 50% before placing in storage.
This is a list of guidelines to increase the longevity of these batteries. It is not a full list of safety Information or any special handling information. For additional information, please refer to the operator’s manual or other knowledge base articles specific to your device.