The quality of Laser Tracker measurements depend upon the precision of the target. Click here to download a white paper that explains the types of laser tracker targets and when particular targets should be used. This paper also explains the critical properties of Laser Tracker targets and the impact they have on measurements.
First, learn how Laser Trackers measure distance (Interferometer and Absolute Distance Meter) and how the target’s characteristics can impact measurements. Three types of targets and how they are constructed will be covered, including spherically mounted retroreflectors (SMRs), cateyes, and repeatability targets, with the most attention given to open-air SMRs.
Caption: Spherically Mounted Retroreflector
It is common for SMR manufacturers to place emphasis on the centering of the optics in their specifications. But, other SMR specifications, such as sphere properties, dihedral angle error, maximum dihedral angle difference, wave front distortion, and polarization, impact measurement performance. A real-world example is given to illustrate the impact the design of Break Resistant SMRs has on SMR performance over temperature. Finally, learn how to determine if your SMR is in tolerance and SMR best practices--how to obtain the best accuracy with your Laser Tracker measurement system.
In this 52 minute YouTube video, expert FARO Engineer Brian Groh, shows poplar applications for each tool in the Laser Tracker Tooling Kit. Tools extend Laser Tracker SMRs to maintain the best line-of-site for the laser when measuring challenging positions on a part. The Laser Tracker Vantage Tooling Kit contains additional tools that are not covered in this video. Use the video slider if you want to fast-forward to skim through this video.
- Where can I find the Tracker Accessories Manual
- Where can I find a tech sheet or information about Laser Tracker Targets
- Can the 1.5" Windowed SMR be used in CompIT
- What is the acceptance angle or field of view of SMR's
- What are repeatability targets and what are their accuracy specifications
- What is the difference between the FARO Trackers standard shanked nest (pin nest) and one with a "diamond shank"
- What is the 1.5” SMR Permanent Reference Mount (C-ACC-05430-000), what are its dimensions, and how do you mount it
IFM, ADM, laser tracker targets, corner cube retrofeflectors, SMR configurations, SMR properties, SMR Specifications, SMR errors, SMR selection, field checks, SMR characteristics, measurement best practices