The FARO® Laser Scanner and SCENE have a Software Developers Kit (SDK) and Applications Programmer's Interfaces (API) that enable application engineers to create custom programs to control the scanner and read, write, and change SCENE files. The SDK and APIs are available in a zip file for those approved to receive the toolkits.
- LS SDK - This SDK enables software developers to create applications that open SCENE data files in third-party software, such as AutoDesk Recap. It is not intended for creating applications that extend functionality to control the FARO® Laser Scanner Focus or read scans into custom or proprietary software. This SDK is available in the developer zip file and is also available for separate download.
- LS SDK_DEV - This SDK extends the functionality of SCENE and allows programs to control the laser scanner. The SDK is backwardly compatible, maintaining existing function and libraries when new functions and libraries are added. This ensures programs written for Legacy scanner models continue to function as expected.
- SDK Developer Manual - This manual shows software developers how to install, license, and use FARO Laser Scanner (LS) COM interfaces to build custom software. The manual is available in the zip file and is also available for separate download.
WARNING: LS SDK and LS SDK_DEV are still currently valid, but they will not be developed further and will be discontinued in the future. Developers should use the SCENE Standalone API or SCENE App API for further development.
- SCENE Standalone API - This API is used to create standalone applications to extend the functionality of SCENE and control the laser scanner and is the recommended development tool.
- SCENE App API - This API is used to write small applications that run inside SCENE and extend its functionality.
Getting the SDK-API Files
To get the SDK and API files, contact your regional FARO Support. The Agent will help you fill out the non-disclosure form and submit it for approval to FARO product management. If the project is approved, an Agent will send the link to the zip file containing the files listed previously and API documentation information.
Getting Technical Support for the SDK-API
To get support for the SDK or API, contact FARO Support Europe. Please be advised that those requesting support should be experienced in application development and understand how to work with functions, libraries, and data structures.
Note: Due to a new revision of FARO FocusS and FocusM scanners, we will introduce a new file format starting in March 2019.
FARO SCENE SDK versions released prior to 2019.0.0.1457 cannot import scans produced using FARO FocusS and FocusM scanners (revision B, distributed after March 2019) with firmware version 6.4.0 or higher.
Supported Programming Languages
- Visual Basic
- C# for .NET-- You can use .NET Visual Basic to access the C# SDK
- C++ for Visual Studio 2008
- Windows C++
Supported Operating Systems
- 64-bit—Microsoft Windows 7, 8.x, and 10
Note: Linux is not supported.
- SDK File Download for SCENE
- SDK Developer Manual for SCENE
- SDK Availability for FARO Webshare Server
- Automation Interface Manual for the Focus S
- Automation Interface Manual and Helical Scanning Procedure for the Focus 3D
- Data File Writing Issues When Moving the Focus and Scanning in Helical Mode
custom applications, custom programs, extend functions, extend features