Your FARO® device is a precision tool. Sending it to a FARO service center for periodic re-certification, calibration, cleaning, service, and repair enhances its performance and accuracy. Here are some frequently asked questions about sending in your FARO device for service.
How to Schedule Service or Repairs
We’ve introduced a new way to schedule your service or certification for your FARO® equipment – our new FARONow! customer service portal. FARONow! personalizes your experience and allows you to:
Ready to access your portal account?
Can I get a loaner while my device is being serviced?
FARO has several warranty plans that offer different benefits depending on the geographic region where you purchased your FARO device. Depending on which warranty plan you have, your warranty benefits may include a loaner FARO device when your device needs repair only or when it needs both repair and calibration. You must have an up-to-date warranty to qualify for a loaner. Refer to your warranty plan for details. If you cannot find your warranty plan, you can log into FARONOW to see the warranty plan name and expiration date. Click here for details about FARONOW.
FARO will provide units of equal or newer age and of equal or better functionality for all loaner obligations. If your organization has a specific loaner need that requires an older model unit, alert our customer support agent and they’ll do their best to provide a solution.
Along with eliminating downtime, many times loaners provide the opportunity to experience the most current FARO technology. Contact your FARO Sales Representative for additional information on warranties, loaner programs, and available trade in and/or upgrade offers.
Can companies other than FARO certify or repair FARO devices?
FARO has not authorized companies other than those owned and operated by FARO to perform services and repairs or to obtain FARO parts. Any repairs performed, or attempted to be performed, by a company other than FARO will void your warranty and could cause your device to operate improperly. Click this link for details.
Preparing your Faro equipment for service
How should I package my equipment to Faro for service, calibration, or repair?
- Please ensure the device is packaged securely in the original Faro shipping box/container. Here are a few examples of what these can look like:
- Laser Tracker
- FaroArm & Gage
- Laser Line Probe
- Focus Laser Scanner
- Laser Tracker
- If you do not have the original shipping box/container, please contact FARO support for advice
- Any pallets, crates, cardboard boxes, or other custom built-non approved shipping containers will NOT be returned
- If you lock the case your Faro equipment is shipped in with a combination lock, please ensure that you reach out to Faro Support with the correct combination
- If you are sending both your Faro Arm and Laser Line Probe, please ensure that you have two separate RMA service case numbers, and also that your Laser Line Probe is in its shipping/storage case (the one that has foam inserts)
- For shipping containers that have attachable casters (wheels) make sure that no wheels are attached to the outside of the case while shipping as these could become lost or damaged in transit. Faro will NOT be held responsible for replacements!
- No Cash on Delivery (COD) shipment will be accepted unless authorized by customer service department in advance
What are the weight and dimensions of Faro equipment shipping containers?
What additional items/materials do I need to ship with my equipment?
- If shipping any accessories (SMR’s, Retroprobes, vacuum mount, magnetic mount, tripods, computer, etc) please ensure you have a separate service/RMA case number prior to shipping to Faro
- Please do not ship batteries for any Faro equipment. The ONLY time a battery should be shipped with Faro equipment is if a Faro customer service or troubleshooting agent has specifically requested for it. (On rare occasions where it is suspected a battery could be causing some type of issue)
- Please expand the below selections to see which items/materials should be sent with your equipment:
FARO Laser Tracker
- Tracker Head
- External Air temperature sensor cable
- Power Supply Block
- Power Cable & Ethernet Cable
- For Legacy models starting with X0 (tracker), Y0 (ION), V01 (Vantage)
- MCU (Master Control Unit)
- Lemo Cable (communication between the Tracker and the MCU)
FARO Focus Laser Scanner
- Laser Scanner
- Power Cable
- Power Supply
- DO NOT send SD memory card/reader
- Please save all your scans from your Scanner prior to sending it to service center. FARO will delete all data from the scanner!
Faro LPT/Tracer (Laser Projector)
- Laser Projector System
- Power Cable & Ethernet Cable
FaroArm & Gage
- FARO Arm
- All cables used to connect the FARO Arm (USB, power supply & cable)
- Standard probes which belong to the FARO Arm
FARO Laser Line Probe (LLP)
- Laser Line Probe
- Calibration Plate
- ScanPlan Unit
- Power supply
- USB flash drive and USB data link cable
- If mobile phone is used exclusively for operating the ScanPlan, include phone.
Faro Freestyle/ Freestyle 2
- Freestyle scanner
- Calibration plate
- Calibration plate Micro SD card
- Complete Freestyle 2 Kit in its box
- If mobile phone is used exclusively for operating the Freestyle 2, include phone.
- Cobalt 3D-Imager
- All lenses with the dust cap attached
- Power supply brick
- Ethernet cable (crosslink)
What should I do if I have a non-standard request (such as needing the Purchase Order number on my calibration certificate, B89 certificate) or if I want to provide pictures/information about a specific issue?
- If you have a requirement where you need the Purchase Order number to appear on your calibration certificate, you MUST inform us of this request prior to sending in your equipment. Also, this specific request needs to appear on your Purchase Order
- If you are needing a B89 certificate for your Laser Tracker, please ensure that the Faro customer support team is aware of this need BEFORE you send your equipment to us. (Failure to do so can result in our technicians not gathering the required “as received” calibration information that is used on this additional B89 certificate)
- If you have a specific issue/problem with your equipment that you would like our technicians to address while your unit is in service, please do not send separate documents/pictures with your equipment inside the shipping case. Instead, this information must be communicated by email (either by replying to existing case email thread or by emailing email@example.com) and preferably before you ship your equipment. (Also remember to reference your service case (RMA) number in email)
Where can I find info related to shipping from outside the United States?
Where can I find info related to shipping from outside the European Union (EU)?
You can find all the information regarding this topic here.
Where are FARO Service Centers located?
What are the hours of operation?
Which devices are serviced at each service location?
For your convenience, this link provides a list of FARO regional service centers, their hours or operation, and they devices they service.
CAUTION: Do not ship or bring your FARO device to a service center without first contacting FARO Support to file a service request. Support Agents can provide an RMA, instructions, and tell you when and where to send or take your FARO device. Click this link for details.
After your Faro equipment has been received for service
IMPORTANT: All repaired and/or re-certified FARO products will be returned to manufacturer specifications, located on the product's serial number label and certificate.
How long will my service, calibration, or repair take?
For ALL products in countries with local service centers, Faro’s “door-to-door” goal is:
- Warranty/Service Contract door-to-door turnaround time = 14 days
- Non-Warranty door-to-door turnaround time = 21 days
- There could be unforeseen delays that can negatively impact the turnaround time such as when additional parts need to be ordered to complete a specific repair
- In countries that require customs clearance the above times will be extended accordingly
What if my service is delayed?
- In the event that your service has been delayed, you will be notified via email with an updated “target completion date”
- You can also check your service case status via the FARONow! Portal, emailing customer support, or calling customer support.
What if my device needs to be repaired?
If your device needs to be repaired, you receive documentation that provides details about the repairs and costs (if applicable). A Support Agent contacts you to get your approval to start the repairs, to arrange a method of payment (if needed), and to give you a new time estimate. Click this link for details.
Replacement parts used for all (in-warranty and out-of-warranty) repairs may be new, refurbished, or contain refurbished materials. All replacement parts are guaranteed to meet FARO specifications and quality standards.
FARO may choose to replace an in-warranty product rather than repair. Replacement products will be of equal or newer age and of equal or better specification.
FARO warranties all repairs (parts and labor) for a period of 90 days. If a failure occurs within this timeframe FARO will cover the following:
- Repairs of the device if related to previous service. If not related to the previous service, evaluation and calibration fees are waived but the customer is responsible for parts and labor.
- Shipping charges to and from FARO.*
* Shipping charges exclude custom brokerage fees, duties, taxes, and VAT.
What if I need to change the return address the equipment needs to be returned to?
If you need to change the return address your equipment is scheduled to ship to, it is imperative that you contact Faro Customer Support via phone or email as soon as possible to ensure that our agents have enough time to successfully update the return address to the new location you are needing. Failure to update our Customer Support team in a timely manner could result in the equipment returning to the previously confirmed return shipping address (either the one you initially confirmed OR the return shipping address specified on your service purchase order).
- Return of Defective Parts or Components after FARO Factory Service
- Compensation, Calibration, and Certification Standards for FARO Devices
- Self-Help Portal - Your FARO Account, Product Licenses, Warranties, and Support Cases
- Warranty Plan Benefits for the FARO Software Warranty
warranty, maintenance, recertification, recalibration, turn around time, factory service, service, rma, repair